Human resource management is one of the fastest-growing fields that offer a wide range of career opportunities. The right human resources degree can help you land a highly-paid job in one of the leading businesses. Managing people is the basic requirement of businesses so there is always a lot of scope for people having human resources (HR) degree be it a master’s degree, bachelor’s, MBA, or a relevant degree.
If you want to start your career as professional in human resources, the first thing you have to do is get a relevant degree. If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you can still get a master’s degree in HR to move your career in the right direction.
This article covers the best human resource degrees that are most likely to get you a job. The list below is in no special order and if you have a passion to improve relationships between people and manage human resources, get one of these human resources degrees to jumpstart your career:
1. Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management [Post University]
Post University offers both full-time and part-time Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management degree. You can choose between on-campus and online classes. This makes it one of the best HR degrees for students who don’t want to attend on-campus classes due to any work or non-work-related commitment.
The degree covers all the essential human resource areas including:
- Human resource management
- HR systems and policies
- Compensation and benefits
- Labor and management relations
- Managerial accounting.
The degree prepares you for the SHRM certification exam too that helps you get a professional certificate that’s extremely helpful for getting a job.
Here is an overview of the key features of this amazing human resources degree from Post University:
- A 48 months bachelors human resource management degree for high school graduates who want to pursue a career in HR
- The university offers online degree making it ideal for people who aren’t currently located in the USA or are working
- The degree covers all the aspects of human resource, management, legislation, accounting, leadership, and different aspect of an organization
- You can apply online without visiting the campus
- It prepares you for the Society for Human Resources Management certification that helps you land a job right after degree completion.
If you want to apply for the BSc HRM degree in the Post University, you must meet one of the following three requirements:
- You must be a high school graduate
- You must have a General Education Development certificate (GED) or an equivalent diploma
- You must have a home study certificate issued by a home study program that’s equivalent to a high school graduate.
The fee for the online degree program is $570 per credit hour. For on-campus classes, the fee for full-time students is $28,250 per semester while for part-time students, it is $945 per credit hour.
The actual fee might vary depending on several other factors.
The Post University offers several financing options including student aid, scholarships, payment options, and student loans.
The Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management degree by Post University is best for students who want to enroll in an online degree program that works equally well for both part-time and full-time students. The degree will help you get an entry-level position in a reputable business to kickstart your HR career.
2. BSBA in Human Resource Management [Shippensburg University]
The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a focus on human resource management is a perfect business-relevant degree. The BSBA is offered by Shippensburg University as a full-time on-campus degree program. The Ship university has an established internship program that helps business students gain job experience during their degree. The internship helps you acquire practical skills and experience and build your portfolio.
The degree equips you with the appropriate human resource skills including leadership, management, recruitment, job analysis, training and development, employee relations, labor union management, negotiation and bargaining, and others.
The major features of this human resources degree program are:
- A full-time on-campus degree program
- The business school is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- You get a chance to complete an internship during your coursework
- It is a highly career-oriented degree from one of the leading US universities
- There are a lot of experiences that you can gain on-campus such as student groups.
You must be a high school graduate or must hold an equivalent state or country-level degree. It is a full-time on-campus HR degree program so you must fulfill the admission requirements to enroll in the program.
The tuition fee per credit hour is $478 and the total fee per semester is around $12K making it quite a reasonable bachelor’s degree program.
If you are planning to start your career in human resource management, BSBA in human resource management is your ideal degree program. With a full-time undergrad degree program, you get a chance to move your career in the right direction.
3. BBA in Human Resource Management [Florida International University]
Florida International University offers a full online BBA degree with a specialization in human resource management. The university caters to more than 42K+ distant learners each year making it an experienced university that offers online degree programs.
It is a 120-credit full-time online degree program that prepares you to find, hire, motivate, train, and develop appropriate employees for your organization. The degree covers several core courses related to business administration including financial management, accounting, economics, strategic management, etc.
Here is a list of the major HR courses:
- Human resource management
- Recruitment and staffing
- Human resource information systems
- Compensation and benefits
- Employee training and development
- Union management
- Employment laws
- Employee satisfaction and motivation
- Managing diversity
- International human resources management.
Here is an overview of the major features of the degree program:
- An online BBA program from a reputable university
- The graduation rate of the university is 58% ensuring it takes education seriously as only the best students graduate successfully
- The program is designed based on the curriculum guidebook of the Society for Human Resource Management
- The students are paired with a success coach where they get a chance to develop the right competencies and develop their portfolio
- A highly career-oriented degree program that is most likely to land you a job after completion.
Enrolling in the BBA Human Resources Management degree program at Florida International University requires you to meet the following requirements:
- High school transcript
- SAT or ACT score
- IELTS or TOEFL for international students.
The tuition fee per credit hour for students in Florida is $228 while for all other students, it is $345. The full tuition fee for an academic year for in-state students is $7186, and for all other students, it is $10,698. This makes it a very cost-effective undergraduate degree program.
The online BBA in human resource management from the Florida International University is a cost-effective and reputable HR degree program that prepares you for the future. If you aren’t located in the USA but want to study at a US university, this is one of the best degree programs for you.
4. Online Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management [Colorado State University Global Campus]
Colorado State University (CSU) offers a fully online bachelor’s degree in human resource management via its global campus that is one of the most career-oriented degrees. The degree is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs and is aligned with the SHRM curriculum guidebook and templates.
The degree consists of 31 general credits, 30 core credits, 15 specialization credits, and remaining credits for the elective courses. The major human resource management courses to be covered include:
- Human resource management principles
- Capstone human resource management
- Recruitment, selection, and training and development
- Organizational development
- Compensation and employee motivation
- Performance management.
Here is a list of the major features of the human resources degree program:
- An online bachelor’s degree program that lets you complete your degree from home
- ACBSP accredited degree program
- Aligned with SHRM curriculum guidebook
- You receive SHRM certification exam material at a discounted price with a $49 membership discount and up to $300 in reimbursement for the certificate
- The university has partnered with more than 3000 employers and if your employer is a partner, you'll receive a 10% discount on tuition
- You can finish your degree quickly by earning credits by taking exams, learning assessments, and self-study assessments
- Complete a capstone project to
- You can set your own study time and set your own schedule without any restrictions.
You need the official high school transcript or GED on file and have at least 2 years of experience, you qualify for enrollment. However, the basic requirement is to have a high school transcript and that’s it.
The cost per credit is $350 with an annual cost of $8400 making it a cost-effective online human resources degree.
Additionally, CSU Global offers several financing options and discounts such as employer partner discounts, financial aid, scholarships, etc.
The bachelor’s degree by CSU Global is a full online human resource management program that’s ideal for people who are doing a job and have previous experience. You can set your own schedule and get exam credits by taking exams based on your job experience and/or previous education. This helps you complete your degree quickly.
5. Online MS Human Resource Management [Purdue University]
Krannert School of Management Purdue University offers online programs including an online master of science in human resource management. It is one of the best MS programs that is specifically designed for professionals who are already working. The program enables you to advance your career by learning new HR skills.
It is a fully online master’s degree with flexible timing. You can complete the degree in 1-2 years depending on your pace. You have to complete 30 credit hours and you are free to move at your own pace.
The core features of the online master’s human resources degree by Purdue University include:
- 100% online degree with flexible timing
- Purdue University has one of the best master’s program in the North USA that will help you a lot in your career
- You get career support services via the university’s professional development center
- The program covers a wide range of advanced HR topics including talent acquisition and management, HR analytics, human capital strategy and consulting, change management, and more
- An ideal program for experienced HR professionals having at least 5 years of experience.
Getting admission in the MS human resource management degree isn’t easy. There are several application requirements including:
- Four-year bachelor’s degree in human resources or a relevant discipline
- Statement of purpose
- Two online recommendation letters
- Official transcripts
- Video essay
- GMAT/GRE exam score.
If you are based in Indiana, the full program will cost you $30,564. International students and students from all other parts of the USA are charged $32,064.
Yes, it is a bit pricey but it is worth your time and money. Having a master’s degree in human resources from Purdue University means a lot. If you want to get a promotion or advance your career in HR, this is a must-have human resources degree for you.
6. Online Professional Master's in Human Resource Management [Rutgers University]
The Rutgers School of Management and Labor Relations offers an online professional Master’s in Human Resource Management (MHRM) that is designed for experienced professionals having at least 4 years of experience. The degree is ideal for people who want to move to senior HR positions.
It is a professional online human resources degree that covers a wide range of advanced HR topics including:
- HR-business strategy linkage
- Global workforce planning and management
- Workforce flow and analytics
- Managing a global workforce and reward systems
- Development of human capital
- Employment laws
- Capstone project.
It is a self-paced online program that is ideal for working professionals who want to enroll in a part-time master’s program that won’t interfere with their job.
The main features of the professional HR program include:
- A complete 100% online master’s degree for experienced HR professionals
- Flexible schedule with no restrictions
- Highly experienced faculty
- No GMAT/GRE required
- Ability to network with HR professionals and academicians
- Receive career advice and support services from the Rutgers career center
- Complete a capstone project to improve your portfolio.
You have to apply online and must meet or fulfill the following admission requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in any discipline from an accredited university with a minimum of 3 CGPA
- At least 4 years of experience in human resources or management or both
- Personal statement or statement of purpose
- Official transcripts
- Two letters of recommendations
- TOEFL/IELTS for international students.
The fee for full-time students is $12,696 per semester including in-state, out-state, and international students. This makes it expensive than Purdue’s online master’s program.
Rutgers online professional HR master’s degree is expensive but ideal for experienced HR professionals. It is specifically developed for students who have at least 4 years of relevant job experience. If you don’t have relevant experience, you can’t enroll so you'll have to move to Purdue or some other master’s program.
7. Master of Science in Human Resource Analytics and Management [American University]
The American University offers an online master’s in human resource analytics and management for HR professionals. It is a 20-month professional human resources degree program aimed at helping experienced professionals advance their human resources careers and learn new and advanced HR skills that will help them better manage their employees.
One of the key areas of the online master’s degree is HR analytics where you learn how to use data and technology to manage the workforce smartly in your organization. The major learning outcomes of the program include:
- Improve HR via analytics and data
- Solve complex HR problems using data and technology
- Develop HR programs for your organization
- Train and develop workforce smartly and proactively
- Use tools for hiring, performance management, and human resource analytics.
The degree is based on the university’s curriculum model that focuses on three major areas:
- Innovation through technology
- Data-driven decision-making
- A capstone project that is focused on strategic thinking and covers everything that you have learned throughout the program.
Here is an overview of the major program features:
- A part-time 100% online master’s degree program
- The program is focused on technology and data-driven HR practices
- The university has partnered with the SHRM that allows students to take two non-credit courses (Essentials of Human Resources and Learning Certification Preparation for SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP)
- The curriculum is developed by the advisory council of the university that includes senior and experienced faculty members including the director, HR consultants, human resources managers, and assistant vice president of human resources
- The university is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and recognized by the University Senate of the United Methodist Church
- The degree is geared towards professionals who want to excel in their careers by learning advanced 21st century HR skills.
You can apply online for the degree that requires you to fulfill all the following requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant area
- All original transcripts
- Resume with professional experience
- Personal statement
- Recommendation letters
- GMAT/GRE test score.
The fee per credit hour is $1,345 making it a total of $40K+ for the whole program. The fee remains the same for local and international students. If you opt for 12-credit certification (optional), it will cost you $16K+.
This full online part-time master’s HR degree program is unique in the sense that it covers HR analytics that no other human resources degree offers. It is an advanced program that is extremely helpful for human resource specialists who want to leap in their careers.
What is the Right Human Resources Degree Program for You?
These 7 best human resources degrees include both bachelor’s and master’s online programs. Depending on your background, qualification, and future plans, you must pick the degree that’s right for you.
If you are a recent high school graduate, enroll in a bachelor’s degree program of your choice. If you have a job, it is best to go for a part-time online bachelor’s degree in human resources.
Those who are experienced and already working, need to look for an appropriate master’s degree in human resources based on the market requirement. Ask yourself if your degree will help you in a promotion or switching your company?
Look for a human resources degree that helps you acquire new skills instead of polishing your existing skills. This is the whole idea of getting yourself enrolled in a degree program.