8 Best SQL Certifications 2022: Reviews and Pricing
Database administration is quickly becoming a major job function in the data science and database design spaces. Since Microsoft SQL is the prime programming language for this function, an increasing number of potential data scientists and database admins are taking SQL certification courses to improve their skill sets.
In this article, we'll look at the top 8 SQL certification programs and their pricing, and general reviews.
Let's get started.
Top 8 SQL Certification Courses for 2022 [Reviews + Pricing]
Whether you're a current database developer or looking to get into developing relational database management, you can definitely gain some knowledge with these SQL (Structured Query Language) courses.
1) The Complete SQL Bootcamp 2022 - Udemy
Duration: 9 hours
The Complete SQL Bootcamp is an all-encompassing program that teaches a wide range of SQL concepts to current and future tech professionals.
Offered by Udemy as a foundational program, the SQL Bootcamp consists of videos, articles, and other downloadable resources. The self-paced course takes students through the fundamentals of database development, management, and performance tuning with SQL.
In terms of learning, the course goes over understanding SQL syntax, how to run SQL queries, and even teaches Python fundamentals for more well-rounded database management.
The bootcamp course specifics include:
- Adding logic flow to SQL queries
- Using SQL JOIN commands
- Analyzing data via aggregate functions with GROUP BY commands
- Creating databases and tables with data entry constraints
The Complete SQL Bootcamp is ideal for anyone getting into programming languages, data analysis, and other tech professions.
For more information and to start learning, check out The Complete SQL Bootcamp.
2) SQL for Data Analysis - Udemy
Duration: 3.5-4 hours
Another Udemy course, SQL for Data Analysis is a weekender crash course that’s designed as both a refresher for programmers and a foundation course for students and professionals looking to build data analysis skills within the SQL ecosystem.
You’ll learn how to make data-driven decisions, measure marketing efforts, observe real-world insights, analyze user behavior, as well as discover marketing statistics.
In terms of subject matter, this course includes:
- Implementing SQL-based business intelligence measures
- Managing user data within an organization
- Generate marketing insights from big data
- Create a data analytics foundation in a marketing setting
The course doesn't have any prerequisites and can be taken by marketers, entrepreneurs, startup founders, and new college grads, among others.
For more information and to start learning, check out SQL for Data Analysis by Udemy.
3) PL/SQL Language Reference - Oracle
Duration: Self-paced (open duration)
The PL/SQL Language Reference course comes from a set of reference guides compiled by Oracle based on their extensive experience with database creation and management.
Oracle has a vast variety of free guides that serve as virtual textbooks for the data science hopeful. This specific reference is a very comprehensive and detailed guide on how SQL works within the Oracle environment.
You'll learn how to organize and structure data, implement customized commands, and how to link tables via foreign keys, among other aspects of SQL knowledge.
In terms of reference material, you get:
- PL/SQL language fundamentals and elements
- PL/SQL data types and how to manage each type
- SQL statements and how to implement them
- A step-by-step guide to creating a fully functioning Oracle database
The reference is ideal for anyone looking to work within the Oracle database itself. It's also very beneficial for future Oracle-specific database administrators, data warehouse managers, and SQL developers.
NOTE: This is an extremely detailed course that covers the very basics of SQL syntax to advanced concepts such as tuning and optimization.
For more information and to start learning, check out PL/SQL Language Reference by Oracle.
4) Managing Big Data with MySQL - Coursera
Cost: $49 per month (Coursera subscription) | Free 7-day trial
Duration: 32 hours
The Managing Big Data with MySQL course is the prime certification course for data scientists and business data analysts learning SQL for career advancement.
Offered by Coursera in collaboration with Duke University, the course is an expansion of the Excel to MySQL: Analytic Techniques for Business Specialization course offered by the same entity.
The course teaches how relational databases function within the business analysis space and how to create entity-relationship diagrams to demonstrate the data structure held within. Basically, it teaches you how to pull vital business data, instead of submitting a request for it.
This course comprises of the following modules:
- Understanding how relational databases work
- Data extraction queries from single tables
- Data group summarization queries (multiple tables)
- Queries to address bigger, more important business issues
The course is ideal for corporate business analysts, data scientists, and professionals who sift through big data for insights.
For more information and to start learning, check out Managing Big Data with MySQL by Coursera.
5) SQL from A to Z in MS MSQ Server - Learn SQL
Cost: $33.95 with 'Forever' plan discount
Duration: 83 hours
The SQL from A to Z course is a SQL server certification designed for people with no prior experience in coding or managing databases.
Created by Learn SQL, one of the foremost certification authorities in the SQL community, the course is the Microsoft-centric offering in the company's certification series. Additionally, it serves as an accompanying certification to the Basic SQL credentials.
This course teaches the applicable fundamentals of SQL and shows students how the language can help advance their careers in the IT and business intelligence sectors.
In terms of direct knowledge, this course teaches:
- SQL basics in the MS SQL server
- How to input, delete, or update data within the SQL server
- Common MS SQL server functions
- Creating basic reports in SQL server
Overall, the course is ideal for IT professionals seeking a data management job or currently serving database administrators looking to adopt SQL as their company's database tool.
For more information and to start learning, check out SQL from A to Z in MS SQL Server from Learn SQL.
6) Learn SQL Online - Codeacademy
Cost: $15.99 per month (Codeacademy certification)
Duration: 7 hours
The Learn SQL Online course is a learning program that introduces students to relational databases via SQL programming languages.
Offered as a fundamental SQL certification (post-certification exam), the course comes with four unique case studies as projects.
Students will learn how to build queries that communicate with various tables and manipulate data as needed. Furthermore, the course also provides a massive glossary of all the available SQL commands.
The key topics of the course are:
- Accessing, creating, updating stored data
- Performing complex database operations
- Learning complex queries through vital query functionality and keywords
- Expanding Microsoft SQL server skills by manipulating and developing databases with several related tables.
Overall, the course is ideal for anyone looking to leverage relational database fundamentals to make better marketing, data management, and business decisions.
NOTE: This course does not offer Microsoft certification (MCSA or MCSE) credentials. Graduates will not be Microsoft certified.
For more information and to start learning, check out Learn SQL Online by Codeacademy.
7) Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python - Coursera
Cost: $49 per month (Coursera subscription) | Free 7-day trial
Duration: 19 hours
The Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python course introduces students to concepts unique to SQL databases. It shows you how to learn and apply the knowledge to real-world database building scenarios, all via the Python programming language.
Offered by Coursera in collaboration with IBM, the course is made for cloud-based database creation, manipulation, and storage.
Designed specifically for data science professionals and hopefuls, the course takes you through building and running SQL queries. Additionally, it demonstrates how you can pull data from Jupyter notebooks using Python and SQL.
In terms of topics, the certification covers:
- Creating and accessing cloud-based database instances
- Writing basic SQL statements such as CREATE, INSERT, DROP, DELETE, and UPDATE
- Filtering, sorting, and grouping results, as well as using built-in functions
- Accessing databases within Jupyter with Python and handling actual datasets
This course is the ideal gateway into a data science career focused on managing databases within a company cloud server. Plus, it works well as an accompanying set of credentials to data analytics degrees.
For more information and to start learning, check out Databases and SQL for Data Science by Coursera.
8) Database Foundations (Course and Exam 1Z0-006) - Oracle University
Cost: $95 per month
Duration: 150 minutes (Exam), 90 hours (Self-paced course)
The Database Foundations course by the Oracle Academy and the accompanying exam provide students with no database management experience a vital set of skills, techniques, and hands-on database design training with a modeling tool.
Offered by the well-known Oracle Academy, with credentials from the Oracle University, the course goes over database programming and designing with SQL. Additionally, they learn how to analyze complex business situations and develop smart data models.
The course has the following modules:
- Database fundamentals (how to code and create databases)
- Database designing and SQL programming (expansion on the previous module)
- Programming with PL/SQL (extension to basic SQL programming)
- Oracle Application Express (APEX) development fundamentals
The course can really benefit both students looking to take up data science or IT as a career, as well as professionals looking to change up their skillset and add Oracle-based database skills.
For more information and to start learning, check out Database Foundations by Oracle Academy.
Choosing the Best SQL Certification in 2022
Despite being limited to a specific type of database and the programming language that accompanies it, SQL database training is actually really useful in various job sectors.
This is why it's important for students and professionals to know which certification is the best for them, according to their ideal career choice.
Here are some steps you can take to ensure you get the best set of credentials for you.
- Applicable Skills: If you're looking for a certification that helps your Business Intelligence (BI) career, choose a certification that either has BI modules or is designed for data analysts. The same goes for other certifications and the skill development they offer.
- Duration: If you're already a university student, choose a certification that isn't too long or doesn't use up too much of your time. You can take those longer, more comprehensive courses later.
- Prerequisites: Some courses require that you have some skills and/or experience beforehand. If you're new to the SQL field, choose the most fundamental certification you can find, ideally one that teaches you how to code in SQL.
- Certifying Authority: The certifying authority has some importance towards course quality. If you're looking for advanced certification, go for one that's offered either by a known university, or in collaboration with a major entity such as Oracle, IBM, or any accredited university.
Based on the points above, choose an SQL certification that's right for you.
SQL certification courses are one of the many credentials you can get to enter the database management realm.
Make sure to visualize your career path in advance and make the optimal certification decision based on that.